Domo offers a host of powerful tools that enable businesses of all sizes to make sense of their data, and translate it into some meaningful results. One of the primary steps in utilizing the Domo platform is building KPI cards, which essentially allow you to begin visualizing your data.
When constructing these cards, one particular Domo feature that will unexpectedly prove to be useful in many different situations, but is often misunderstood is Beast Modes—calculated fields you create, which are implemented in syntax similar to MySQL.
Beast Modes typically fall into two categories:
(1) Calculations applied to every row of a dataset
(2) Aggregations that are done based on the filters applied to the card.
When should you create a Beast Mode?
Here are some of the tasks within Domo that are best suited for Beast Mode.
(1) Calculating dynamic ratios, or aggregations that should change as the underlying data is updated, i.e. Cost-To-Profit Ratio, Overdue Orders Ratio
(2) Simple arithmetic between columns in the datatset, for example, Net Order Value that sums up the Line Item, Shipping, and Tax values for each row
(3) Date functions, such as extracting the day name from a day to display on the card, or calculating the differences between dates. For example, when working with project-level data, you can use the DATEDIFF() and CUR-DATE() functions to calculate how many days a project is overdue.
(4) Creating categories or groupings for your data that don’t already exist. You can categorize orders, projects, etc. as ‘Past Due,’ ‘Due Today,’ or ‘Due in the Future,’ using logic implemented in a CASE-WHEN statement.
(5) Building a complex summary number. Sometimes, you want to display more than one number in the card’s summary. In this instance, you can do this using the CONCAT() function.
As you can see, Beast Modes within Domo can assist in performing a variety of functions, and can make it simpler to interpret your data, and derive actionable insights from it. With a little bit of technical skill, anyone within your organization can learn how to effectively utilize all aspects of Domo to quickly drive impactful change.
You don’t need to be an experienced data whiz to reap the benefits of Domo, but if you could use a helping hand in implementing it in your business, then please visit us today at Big Squid, and our dedicated team of consultants will help you get started.